It's pouring in the Bay area today and the air is cold. Have some perfect plans for the evening...hot onion fritters (pakodas) at tea time, easy and tasty snack that goes perfectly well with tea on a cool afternoon. Also the big game is on, as 49ers (SFO football team) are playing against NY Giants. My son and husband will be glued to TV watching the game. During the tea time we'll treat ourselves to crispy onion pakodas and enjoy it with tea....
1 cup gram flour (Besan)
2 medium sized onions sliced or chopped
2 green chilies chopped fine
1/4 tsp of baking soda
11/2 tsp salt
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp chaat masala powder(optional)
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
oil for frying
1/2 cup water
3 to 4 curry leaves2 tsp fresh chopped coriander leaves
1. Peel onions and either slice or chop into medium sized.
2. In a shallow dish combine gram flour,salt,red chilly powder,cumin seeds,chaat powder, freshly chopped coriander,few curry leaves(optional).
3. Add just little water to make a thick paste.Mix in the onions into the batter.
4. Heat oil and using a spoon drop in spoonfuls of the prepared onion batter into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp. Remove from oil.
5. Enjoy crisp hot onion pakodas with coriander chutney and tea.