This dessert is very special to me and one of my favorites. In 2014 my family and my sister's family were having a holiday trip to the Great Barrier reef, Australia, where we got to enjoy this dessert together. We were delighted with the presentation and taste was just awesome.
I always wanted to try making this at home, so when I came across this recipe, I decided to prepare it and was very happy to share this dessert with my family and friends.
My son was so helpful in helping me make the toffee sauce, it came out delicious!
Do try out this easy dessert and wow everyone :))
The taste of this desert is unforgettable!!!
First you bake date cake, and then prepare the toffee sauce using light brown sugar, butter , full cream and very little vanilla essence.
|Chop pitted dates|
|Add baking powder and water|
|Add baking powder to flour|
|Beat butter and sugar|
|Add one egg at a time|
|Add sieved flour|
|Add mixture to a greased cake loaf tin|
|Prepare toffee sauce|
|Sticky date cake with toffee sauce|
Ingredients (For Date cake)
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1 1/2 cup water to boil dates
1 stick butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Ingredients (For Toffee Sauce)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup full cream
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Take pitted dates and chop finely. Add water and baking soda. Heat for about 5 to 6 minutes till they appear softened. Close burner and allow to cool. Keep aside.
2. Take flour , add baking powder and sieve, keep aside.
3. Soften butter and brown sugar in a medium size bowl, using a wooden spoon or electric hand beater. As it appears creamed, start adding in eggs, one by one and mix together.
4. Add in vanilla essence to butter and sugar mixture.
5. Add in flour slowly and next add dates mixture. Mix gently and pour this cake mixture into a greased cake loaf tin. Bake at 350 F for about 40 to 50 minutes. Check later by sticking in a tooth pick, that comes out clean showing the cake has cooked well from inside too.
6. Prepare toffee sauce by heat, butter and brown sugar, allow to bubble, slowly add in full cream and vanilla essence. Cook about 5 to 6 minutes and close burner as sauce bubbles.
7. Allow baked cake to stand for about 5 minutes, next using a fork pierce gently on the cake surface to make tiny holes. Pour 1/4 of toffee sauce over the cake.
8. Keep remaining toffee sauce, while serving the cake. Vanilla ice cream goes well too with this awesome dessert. The warm toffee sauce, along with warmed cake and cool ice cream , great combination. Enjoy !