Caramel custard has always been one of my favorite desserts. The custard is baked and the combination with caramelized sugar coating on the top, is simply divine. This dessert has its origin from Roman times and has been popular since with both French and Spanish people. An elegant dessert and enjoyed world wide.
1 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup sugar for adding to custard
1/2 cup sugar for caramelizing
|Warm milk to Luke warm|
|Add few drops to caramelize sugar|
|Add milk to eggs slowly to avoid curdle|
|Pour caramelized sugar into ramekins|
|Bake at 350 F, for 30 minutes and as the tops appear golden brown|
1. In a sauce pan, over low to medium heat , caramelize 1/2 cup sugar, along with few drops of water. As it starts to brown (caramelize), close the burner. Pour equally into 4 ramekins, rotate to evenly coat the bottom of the ramekin cups. Keep aside to cool.
2. Beat eggs in a bowl, add in vanilla essence and sugar.
Heat milk in a sauce pan for a few minutes. Slowly pour this little warm milk into the beaten eggs mixture, slowly as to avoid curdling. Pour the remaining milk, and form a custard.
3. Fill all 4 ramekins, with this prepared custard. Place these ramekins, into a tray and add 1 cup hot water around the ramekins, carefully.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.After they cool, refrigerate for another 20 to 30 minutes. Then carefully, turn each ramekin upside down, so that the caramelized top shows on top.
5. Serve cold and enjoy every bit :)
An easy to prepare but has a wow factor and all love it!!!